Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Last post from Al Qaim

The architecture upgrade is not going well. Some of the gear broke
and now we have a few sites that are down. The SNCO's where right.
It's funny how all that experience and all those years in the Corps can
actually predict things and give good advice. You can't learn what we
know from a book. Can you tell I'm a little agitated? I hate to be
leaving right now with everything like this but that's why we didn't
want to do it. One of my Marines has gotten the parts we needed and is
flying in on the helicopter I'm flying out on. He lands at 0145. I'm
sure they will have everything up and running within the next three to
four days. I will keep track of the progress from Al Asad and be there
for any assistance or inc ase they need any more gear shipped to them.
My flight leaves tonight (tomorrow morning) at 0205. I'll be landing
at Al Asad at 0255. The Marines on Advanced Party will be coming in
about 36 hours later to start transitioning back to the states. All the
companies got the rest of their advanced parties in to Al Qaim today.
Everyone is getting excited.
I will still try to post messages to my blog whenever I can. I don't
expect to be very busy for the next few days. It's much easier to keep
accountability of everyone going back home. Who's going to go UA (AWOL)
on the trip back? Hahaha.
I kept every e-mail that I received from friends and family while I
was deployed in a special folder on my hard drive. I have 1,131 e-mails
of encouragement, support, and love from all of you. I am thankful for
every one of them.

8 Comments:

At 6:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love you so much and can't wait until you are on American soil! I have enjoyed reading your blog everyday.
Thank you for all you and your Marines have done.
Big HUGS from ARKANSAS!!
Love, Sis

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger 112Wife said...

I just wanted to thank you for your blog. I've been reading it, actually stalking it for some time now. My husband is a Marine at Al Qaim on a PTT, he's been there only a few weeks and the posts have helped me get some sort of picture of what it may be like for him. Have a great trip back home, and Thank you!

 
At 3:09 AM, Anonymous Linda said...

So that's why all the cars on the 101 were beeping their honks and flashing their lights. They were celebrating the news. I thought they were commenting on my driving.
YIPPEE!! That's such good news and there will be a lot of celebrating going on in Arkansas and 29 Palms as you step onto that helicopter.
It has been an honor to be a part of your support during your deployment. Your mom and I are now great friends.
To 112 wife: if your husband will be in Al Qa'im for awhile, you may want to check out the website for Suicide Charley. They were in the battleposts of Al Qa'im MSgt Harris has referred to. Their website is www.suicidecharley.com All the best to you.
OOH-RAH MSgt Harris and Darkside!!

 
At 4:12 PM, Anonymous Your Carpinteria book store friends said...

Safe journey to you all.

 
At 11:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HOOOORAYYYYYY!!!! I CAN'T WAIT FOR YOU GET BACK HERE!!!! Although, considering the number of people everyday that die in vehicle accidents over here, I'm not so sure the numbers quit add up here either.....Can I get a daily post when you get back to the states??? ha ha ha ha I AM GOING TO MISS KNOWING WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!!! And, I'm going to miss everyone's little bit of humor added to the day. And......it was nice to meet Linda and read her comments. "California" is like another culture to me. ha ha ha I'm sure that goes two ways!!! 4 wheelers and mud versus skateboards and sand. he he
LOVE YOU ALL AND IT WAS NICE CHATTING WITH YOU.
Michael, love you much and you be careful!!!! Melanie

 
At 2:04 AM, Anonymous Linda said...

While we're all waiting to hear that Mike and the guys are back on American soil, I thought I'd share something that's been happening at our school. Everyday, the kids in my class keep asking, "Can't I write to my Marine today? Can't I write anymore?" and I explain that the good news is their Marines are on their way home. Then the students from other classes come down to my room and hand me letters, "Mrs. Reimel, I wrote this for the Marines. I know you'll send it out today." "Here is a pack of letters my class wrote" or "Can I write a letter to a Marine?" and so it goes. They love the idea that Mike, Sgt Major Geletko and all the Marines and Sailors are on their way home. They are so committed to supporting them that it's an adjustment when the Marines come home. It's a good adjustment though. Mike's guys got to see letter writing in its most primitive form (and believe me guys, some of those letters were pretty primitive at first), to the shy introductions to the humorous jokes (yes, they were corny but some were pretty funny) that they learned to write, to the deep affection and connection they developed for the Marines and Sailors of the Darkside. So while Mike's family and friends worried, we were right there with you, worrying, praying and hopefully sending some much needed humor and support for the amazing Marines. Semper Fidelis, everyone!
Your California friend,
Linda

 
At 2:43 PM, Anonymous 147 said...

MIKE'S HOME!!!!

 
At 6:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having served with this command and reviewing the comments in retrospect, what strikes me most is the disparity between Mike's blog and the larger evolution of events on the ground. It would seem most fortunate that Mike did not have a larger roll to play in operations. Luckily, the battalion had others that were able to pick-up his slack.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home