Friday, February 23, 2007

Mortar Attack

  Two more Generals will be in our area tomorrow morning.  They were originally scheduled to come to Al Qaim but the helicopter is land here just long enough to pick up the Colonel and then they are going to Camp Gannon to visit the boarder crossing check point that is being built.

  Yesterday, the SgtMaj got on a supply convoy with a few of my Marines to go visit COP North.  While they were on their way out, they found an IED.  It held them up about three and a half hours.  Whenever we get held up be IED’s we do a “cordon and search” of the area to check for wires, cache’s, weapons, and bad guys.  My Marines were excited because they got to go search through a neighborhood with the SgtMaj.  Once you search your surrounding area, you set up security and then it gets real boring while you sit there and wait forever.  Sometimes, EOD will show up in about 40 minutes.  Most of the time it takes about two or three hours, but it has taken as long as six hours in some cases.  It always depends on what they are doing and what else is going on.  Sometimes, EOD will be blowing up one IED and they will get called to go blow up another one that’s 50 miles away.  We only drive 30 miles per hour.  That way we can get a good look and see the different shades of dirt if someone has been digging or spot any wires from trash on the side of the road.

  I was woken up this morning at 0330 by flash bangs from the Army Special Forces.  They are training another group of Iraqi’s in their Swat School.  This is hell week for them so they get hazed the whole week and hardly get any sleep.  They somehow got some loud speakers and they were blasting heavy metal music to help confuse them.

  This afternoon, while I was in the gym working out with the SgtMaj, we got mortared at our East Entry Control Point.  Everyone had to run to their designated areas and report in.  We launched two helicopters and the Quick Reaction Force but we didn’t find anything.  Capt Bair was at the chowhall and he said the workers in there started going nuts and kicking everyone out.  He said they were shouting “Get to your bunker! Get to your bunker!”  He said he ate a few more bites and then followed the crowd outside.

  When the “all-clear” was given we headed down to the chow hall and all those workers were still in their bunker.  They have a mettle shack that has been dug into the side of a hill and reinforced with sandbags.  There must have been 50 little guys in that thing.  They just kept coming out.  It was like clowns get out of a little car.  The Marines were all waiting in line to be served and they were still messing around so the Bn XO and some other Marines jumped behind the counter and started serving chow to everyone.  Never mess with hungry Marines and their chow.

  I hope those guys come back soon and try it again.  It’s frustrating when you don’t find them.  Saturday is LCpl Escanlante’s memorial service.  They are having it at COP North (Weapons Company BP) so I will try to convoy up there with someone.


At 5:38 PM, Anonymous 147 said...

It is so good to hear from you again. Several days without new word seems like weeks to me. You Brave Marines are constantly on your toes – ready for whatever day and night. I don’t know how you do it! Thankful there was no tragic news reported in these latest happenings. Good work. Will be thinking of you all at the memorial service. Be encouraged – “time’s-up” is getting closer.

At 10:02 PM, Blogger mhmcmom said...

our days are filled with hopes of getting a new blog, your days are so filled with duties and responsibilities, it makes me wonder how you can even think of a blog. thank you for taking the precious time to allow us to be a part of your day!


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home