Friday, January 12, 2007

Questions

  There is a lot of uncertainty right now for some of our Marines.  I have six Marines that have orders to report to a different duty station, and six Marines that are supposed to be getting out of the Corps between April and July.  Now we don’t know if they are still going or not.

  You can imagine a young wife at home getting all worked up because she has no idea if she is still moving, or if her husband is going to get to come home as scheduled, or if he is extended like everyone else.  If he is extended with everyone else; they may lose the duty station they want and be forced to pick another base.

  The battalion has about 130 Marines that are supposed to get out of the Corps within that three month time period.  So if they all leave, we are in trouble.  There won’t be any replacements coming in for them.  There isn’t going to be any additional troops sent to our area from another unit either.  Lots of questions and no answers.  It’s tuff for these guys.  I really do feel bad for these young men that have families with questions.  This kind of things happens all the time.  I remember what my seniors used to say when things like this happened, “Suck it up.  You’re in the Corps.  This is the only family you’ll ever need.  If the Corps wanted you to have a wife, it would have issued one to you.”  That was the ‘Old Corps’.  I will never say that to one of my Marines.  I’m glad I don’t have to explain all these things to my wife.  That’s one great thing about being married to another Marine.  She already knows the drill and understands what’s going on.  I just keep telling the Marines that I haven’t forgotten about them and I will tell them as soon as I find anything out.  They aren’t really bugging me but I know that they’re getting blasted by everyone at home.  They will do whatever is required of them without hesitation.  They just want to be able to put their family’s minds at rest.

5 Comments:

At 10:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate what seems to be uncertainty but what absolutes do we think we know but really don't after all. There is only one true, unfailing absolute ... GOD.
Hang in there....Melanie

 
At 3:10 AM, Anonymous 147 said...

I pray for "the rest of the story" to come quick for those men who have families in limbo now. They can arrange their lives when they know "the plan" so they can remake theirs!
Your comment “I will never say that to one of my Marines,” shows the real stuff you are made of and your Marines KNOW your stuff Mike – one reason they give ALL! With them knowing your respect for their situation as well as their families’, provides the glue that will hold everything together. A “who cares” attitude is acid to any structure.
Thanks again for keeping us up-to-date. That you will keep focused is definite.

 
At 8:24 AM, Anonymous Aunt Lea said...

Mike, I am unable to express to you how much I enjoy reading your blog. It has made such a difference to me. I am sure you don't remember me but I want to you know how much I admire you and what you are doing. Your attitude is amazing and I marvel at your words. I am so pleased to know that the "old way" is a thing of the past. You have feelings which altough you are a tough Marine you aren't afraid to express. Keep up the good work and stay safe.

 
At 3:41 PM, Anonymous Linda said...

The strength of the families and stress on them is enormous during this war and I can imagine the calls to the FRG about their future. Your Marines are lucky that you recognize their ties to both places, a wish to get the job done right and the hope of their families to be reunited. Our thoughts and prayers are with both your Marines and their families to continue to be strong throughout this. Of course being strong is what a Marine is all about. Speaking of that, how is the Chuck Norris workout going?

 
At 12:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They, and you may have known what to expect when you signed up...but that NEVER makes it any easier. The same goes for the families. Times like this are when I can't imagine life without Jesus Christ. He can fill that void our loved ones leave when they are called to duty. God Bless you all for your sacrifice, there is no OTHER word for what you do! angela pumphrey

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home