Saturday, January 13, 2007

Football

  Talk of next years football team has already started with the Marines that have plenty of time left with the battalion.  I’ve had eight Marines approach me in the past two days and ask, “Are we still going to have a team?”, “How much leave is the team going to get when we get back?”, “When are we going to start practice?”  Those of you who know me should know that I already have the answers to all those questions.  I’ve had it planned out from the day we left.  I’ve already had talks with other senior Marines about being on the coaching staff.  I’ve already talked to the Colonel about the design of our uniforms.  I’ve also been working on another playbook.  When you coach in the Corps you always have to play against people who once played for you.  So you always have to change the passing tree, audibles, and terminology or they will pick up on what you’re doing.  Especially when you move to a different team on the same base like I just did.  It’s great to know that these guys are thinking of stuff other than home.  The honest truth is that anytime someone is preparing for the future, it’s a good sign.  That means they are not thinking about dying in combat.

  Once we get back, we have two weeks of what I call “Don’t beat your wife training”.  Hahaha.  It’s a bunch of classes on how your wife and kids are all independent people and have adjusted to you not being around so both of you will need time to adjust.  They give those classes after every deployment.  It’s a good thing.  Some guys don’t realize the changes that have to happen when they’re gone.  Then we will all get some leave.  Once we get back….it’ll be football season!

  I haven’t done any Chuck Training since I had surgery.  I’m only doing cardio and sit ups.  Today I skipped the situps and did a few dips and pull ups.  I’m going to stick with this for another week and then start lifting.  After about a week of that, I’ll get back into the Chuck Training again.

 

3 Comments:

At 12:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd like to know if there are any "Don't beat your husband" classes for civilians...there are times when this particular schooling would have come in handy for me...ha ha...

angela pumphrey

 
At 2:38 AM, Anonymous Linda said...

First a football comment. Today in the LA Times sports section there was a letter written by a reader asking, "Was there a worse musical selection for a halftime show than Ohio State's marching band playing the theme from "Titanic"? All that was missing was the Florida band performing as the iceberg." It is good news that the guys are looking forward to your next football season. Looking forward to something is always a positive distraction. The weatherman was predicting rain this week. If you remember my letter describing Californians and their reaction to rain, you can imagine the excitement. The cafeteria tends to get noisy on rainy days so I told the kids they could eat in the classroom, we'd play heads up,7 up and watch a video. Thursday the weatherman changed it to Friday. Friday came and the cold, dry winds blew all chances of rain away but...we are still looking forward to that rainy day. 147 must be laughing at that thought.
During the time your guys are gone, babies are born and grow, kids go to school and change, but in your Marines' minds the kids stay the same. I'm glad the Corps recognizes the stress of the reunifications and helps everyone adjust.
Take care, Brave Marine!

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger mhmcmom said...

thank God the "old military days" have changed, even tho it is still tough. i wish i could relay the sense of pride and growth i personally experienced from a very small part of my life as a young military wife. sometimes i think i may have gone overboard on the "independence"!hahah (man, could i have used a few of those classes!)
you are such an inspiration to all of us who read your blog, i know your men will get through these "going thru hell" days with a great feeling of pride and acomplishment. thank you for sharing you.
love ya bunches

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home