Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Fire

  The hits keep rolling in for 3/4 as we go through 2007.  This morning, I got up and went to the gym, did some cardio, and then went back to my tin can to shower up.  When I stepped outside, I saw smoke billowing out of Motor – T’s building.  Motor – T is located in a huge railway repair facility.  The Marines had built little wooden rooms all along one interior wall for all the Marines to live in.  This morning, around 0630, something shorted out and caught their living quarters on fire.  It burned everyone’s living spaces to the ground.  All the Marines got out and no one got hurt.  We don’t have “Fire Trucks”.  We used Crash, Fire, and Rescue vehicles from the helo pad.  They are limited on their capabilities to fight a building fire.  The actual railroad building is made of concrete and steel so the crash fire and rescue Marines basically controlled the fire to keep it from spreading until all of the wooden living quarters inside were burned up.  The Marines that lived there lost everything.  The sad part is a lot of them lost their personal laptops and PSP’s.  They will be reimbursed through the Marine Corps so eventually they’ll get the money that they lost but it should make for some pretty boring nights in Motor – T until we leave.  All the units are putting together whatever they have to give to them.  We’ve got enough uniforms, PT gear, jackets, etc. in supply for them so don’t worry about sending things.  Many of the sections in Al Qaim had received some stuff for Christmas, like socks (Motor-T says thank you Mrs. Reimel) and other things that have already been given to them.  They will be fine.  I will let you know if they need anything special.  I took a few pictures and will send them to Schellee, Missy, Linda, and my Moms.  So if you want to take a look then they can e-mail them to you.

  We thought we were good.  No comm wires in Motor – T were burned.  But suddenly Marines, Soldiers and Sailors started coming over to our shop to complain about comm problems.  The roof of Motor – T is a tin roof and we had about 20 telephone lines and 6 computer lines running over the top.  Well, it melted all of them.  So now my guys are out running telephone and data lines.  So far, 2007 has been a lot of work but I’d rather be very busy than very bored.

4 Comments:

At 6:02 PM, Anonymous 147 said...

How many Marines were involved here - loosing everything? This is terrible for them. Of course it is not the worst news - but sure wish there could be some "good news." More and more inside "bad luck" could put you men off focus and cause you to have tunnel vision. But then - none are ordinary men on an ordinary mission. I know everyone will continue to do their job regardless. Always faithful - always true! God bless and keep you all.
Be sure to let us all know about any help we might can be.

 
At 6:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so thankful that no one was hurt. You guys are sure keeping those ten thousand angels busy. God bless, angela pumphrey

 
At 4:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay.....I'm sorry just after reading Linda's comment from the last blog I just have to say what I'm thinking.....HOLY BLUE BLAZES BATMAN!!!! ha ha ha ha
It seems you must be feeling better....that's good news....working out and really getting in to what's going on around there and back to your old job duties...etc.....THAT'S GREAT NEWS!!!!
Take care and replace the batteries in your smoke detectors!!! LOVE YA!! Melanie

 
At 5:32 AM, Anonymous Linda said...

They say good things and bad things come in threes. Appendectomy=Very bad. Electrical outages=very bad, Fire=Very Bad. That's three. Now it's time for the good things to come. Thank God no one was injured in the fire. Anything we can do, let us know. Is this the home of Jump Platoon? This will make sleeping accommadations pretty snug. Amazing pictures.
Take care.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home