Friday, January 26, 2007

Clean Cafe

  I spent the entire day rewiring and remodeling the internet café.  It doesn’t matter how many times you sweep and mop that place – it always looks dirty.  We actually used soap and water on everything and cleaned it up real good.  We made some magazine racks and put all the magazines from Linda that we had finished looking through on the racks for people to look at while they wait.  It took all day.  Tonight we will start painting the room.  After we cleaned it all up, it still looked dirty so I told the Marines we were going to paint the walls.  They thought I was joking until the Company Gunny showed up with paint cans and rollers.

  I did my final exam this morning and got a 96%.  I missed an easy question that I should have gotten right but I guessed on two of the questions so I guess it worked out.  I got a %100 on my research paper.  I was going to be happy with a B but it looks like I should have a 97% or 98% for my final grade.  I’ve decided not to take another class.  They are still not sure exactly when we are leaving but the dates are getting closer all the time.  The date I heard today was May 5.  So, I don’t want to be on my way home for the last two weeks of a class.  I don’t want to study for a test or do any homework when I get back.

  Nothing much is going on.  All the companies except Lima (they are still gone until the deployment is over) are back from their big missions and they are doing their normal patrols.

  One of my Marines found out yesterday that his Step-Mom died fourteen days ago.  His family didn’t have his SSN and they didn’t remember what unit he was with so we never got a Red Cross message.  He logged on to “My Space” and read it.  I would have never guessed something like that could happen with all the technology we have available.  We can’t get to most sites from our computers.  You have to go to the café.  Since I had most of the computers in Balad getting fixed, most Marines didn’t bother going to the café because they knew that there would be a long wait to use the one computer that was online.  

  I got an e-mail from Missy yesterday and it said that mom (Bonnie) had a splint put in her heart.  So I called her last night.  I always feel stupid writing my mothers names after I say mom but if I don’t someone will think I’m talking about the other one.  She is feeling much better.  She sounded really good when I called.  I used our Sat Phone.  We get to use it for morale calls but I don’t like to use it.  I don’t want my men thinking that I use it more than them.  I want to make sure that I use it the least.  I have only used it four times since we got here.  Sometimes it will work fine and other times it will cut off every two minutes.  Last night, it kept cutting off.  It was nice to hear Mom, Shelton, and Dads voice.  I always think about what it must have been like for my dad in Vietnam.  No e-mail, internet, or sat phones.  Just writing letters and then getting responses back about two or three weeks later.  I would have already forgotten what I asked about when I got the response.  I think I would be terrible at corresponding via letter mail.  We’ve got it so good.  Technology has come a long way in such a short time.

2 Comments:

At 3:26 AM, Anonymous Linda said...

Your mom was so excited when you called. That was the best mom medicine possible.
Your internet cafe is benefiting from your trip to Balad. You must have picked up a lot of new ideas. Painting always makes things look better. We'll send out more magazines next week so they guys can relax while they wait...and wait...and wait for their chance to get on the computers.
Congratulations on your final grades! Wow! Once the walls are painted, you can hang your papers and grades up on the walls for the guys to see. Bet they'll be impressed, I sure am.
We finished studying penguins, writing about them, reading about them, painting them and finally ending our unit with a walk out to the track, walking in a straight line (like the penguins in March of the Penguins) and waddling like them too. It was a hoot. Only second graders would do that with a straight face. Oh, and their teacher too.

 
At 5:04 PM, Anonymous 147 said...

I am so impressed with your grade again. There is absolutely no limit to your potential, intelligence, drive, and wisdom. That goes for your girls too! You are a remarkable family. Now if you had your Mother-In -Law there with some cast off materials and 3 colors of paint, just think what that internet café could look like!
Don't give one thought to worry about me now because I feel like a new person - so much better. You know Mike, why don't you just refer to me as "147." Yes, you have 2 Moms but only one Mother. It's never been a competition thing between us and we all know that. You are blessed and you are a blessing to every life you have ever touched.
Linda, have you seen "Happy Feet?" Great penguin movie!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home