Monday, December 11, 2006

Doing Better

---I sent this blog yesterday but I got a message from the server saying that it didn’t post.  So, here it is again.---

 

  Everyone around the camp has been coming by to see me and let me know that they were thinking about me.  When I went to the chow hall the first time, the workers all started waiving and smiling at me.  It’s good to be back.

  The 1stSgt gave me his truck so I don’t have to walk back and forth to my tin can for a few weeks.  It’s a struggle to make it to chow.  Yesterday afternoon the Marines I was with had to keep waiting for me and last night I had to stop and take a break for a minute.  Today was better.  I’m walking upright now.  The Marines still had to wait on me but I didn’t have to take any breaks.

  SgtMaj Geletko’s birthday was yesterday so the chow hall made him a cake and we all sang to him and had birthday cake with our meal.  I told him he was as old as the way I walk.  The Marines are calling me pap-pap now.  The SgtMaj started calling me that and it has caught on.

  A few Marines from 1st Battalion, 2nd Marines, from Camp Lejuene are here for a few days.  They are doing the Pre Deployment Site Survey.  They are going to be taking over this area from us when we leave.  So, a few months beforehand, they send out some Marines so they can go back and let everyone know what to expect when they get here.  They’re taking pictures of the living and work spaces.  They will also get a tour of the battle area through convoys and hang out with the work section that they represent so they can get a feel of how things are operating out here.  It’s a good idea.  I’m glad the Marine Corps is spending the money to do it.  We got to do it with 2/7 before we came but we did it about 6 weeks ahead of time instead of 15 weeks ahead.

  I had signed up for some college classes online while I was out here.  One started on November 6th but I didn’t get any books until after I was medivaced so I have a lot of catching up to do.  The other class started on December 4th, so I’m only a week behind right now.  The first class, Advanced Computer Applications, is going to be easy for me.  I already know most of it.  The other class, Introduction to Software Design, is going to be a little harder.  I’m already guessing at things and copying from the book.  This may be the class that tarnishes my 3.98 GPA.  I always say, “They don’t print your GPA on your degree.  Whether you finish with a 4.0 or a 2.0, it’s says the same thing.”  We’ll see how it goes.

  The Marines said they opened about 50 packages of mine while I was gone.  So if you sent something and I didn’t thank you for it, it’s because the Marines got it.  From what they tell me, they got some good stuff.  Mom, Weapons Company picked up all the packages that were for OIC and they are putting them together to pass out.  I received a bunch of “Get Well” Cards from Linda’s class.  I took them all to my tin can.  I’ll probably mail them home to keep.

4 Comments:

At 4:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So great to hear from you again!!! I've prayed for you and your care teams and your transporters often!!! Please take care of yourself and don't push it. You really have a human body not a super human body and believe it or not, yours takes time to heal just like everybody elses does!!! Don't expect too much too soon or you'll be right back in that M*A*S*H unit!!! And I don't know what the Drs. say after what you've been through but I don't want to hear of any strenuous workouts for a long time!!!! BABY STEPS!!! And they can just send that bag right on home cause you won't be needing it before you come back. I love you and I am so glad you are on your way to recovery. Are you driving that truck?? I know you are not suppose to be. I know you are glad to be back to your familiar surroundings and it sounds like they are all glad you're back too!!!
Momma is in the rehab unit at Benton Hospital trying to learn to work her new knee. I'm sure Daddy will be glad when she gets home so he will have somebody to fuss at. Just kidding, he has been really sweet with the things he's said and how much he misses her. And I think she is loving the attention she is getting over there. They will evaluate her tomorrow to see if she is able to come home or if it will be another week.
LOVE YA!!!! Melanie

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger mhmcmom said...

man, it is so good to get on your blog and read a post from you! have missed you so much! i would have had to kept a daily journal to have remembered all the situations you have been thru! thank God you are back "home" and of sound mind. notice,, we are all suggesting you take it easy. i'm sure your guys are just waiting to see what they can do to make your recovery easier. dr. moms advise, plenty of rest, eat small meals of easily digestable foods, plenty of fluids, slow, small steps, short distance. no jogging, no lifting over 2 lbs, and know this too shall pass!! love you very much, stay safe and heed advice,, you know it is given freely bcause it was obtained from the giver freely!!!haha
love ya bunches
mom

 
At 12:59 AM, Anonymous Aunt Lea said...

Michael, I sent dried fruit - pears, apricots, nectarines and some nuts. Hope whoever got them enjoyed! They were from the Sunsweet plant in Yuba City, CA. It is wonderful that you are back in your "home". I'm sure everyone will be looking out for you. Just don't over do it. I will be heading back to Calif. on Wed. Looking forward to sunshine or at least less rain. Take care Michael and know you are in my prayers.

 
At 4:13 AM, Anonymous Linda said...

Wow, a 3.98GPA, a Marine and a great guy all wrapped up in one! I am mighty impressed. Technology is a struggle for most of us and it's good to know you've got a handle on it. What a blessing you are to the Marines in so many ways. Don't worry about thanking anyone for those packages. You've got those pronouns mixed up; we should always be thanking you. It's wonderful to read your blogs again and know your spirit is strong even if the body is still a tad weak. The kids loved your message. Of course the first thing they said after I read the message sent to school was, "Mrs. Reimel, can I write another letter?" See how your Marines affect my students?
Take it easy. Lots of warm wishes for a speedy recovery from your friends at school.
Your friend,
Linda

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home