Thursday, December 14, 2006

Carpenter Work

  My Wiremen have been busy the past two days doing carpentry work.  We took over a building that had been used by a different section.  They didn’t need it anymore so I went and asked if my guys could move into it so we would have more space.  The front end of the building is going to be offices for my wire guys and the back end of the building is going to be where my NCO’s live.  My guys have made three rooms with windows and a hallway inside the building with wood that they got from supply.  It almost looks professional.  I was very surprised.  I took the 1stSgt and SgtMaj over for a tour and they were pleased with what my guys had done.  They haven’t started on the living area yet.  I told them they could do whatever they wanted but the office spaces had to be done first and they also have to have all the equipment in place and operational by January 1.  That means they have to rerun every phone line on the entire camp.  That’s not an easy thing to do but they all agree that it needs to be redone.  Currently there are wires running everywhere.  It looks terrible and there is no rhyme or reason why it’s done that way.  Basically, the first unit that came in probably ran about ten phones.  Then as new units came in they just kept adding lines wherever there was space and it is a disaster now.  We knew ten minutes after we got here that it would have to be done sooner or later.  I was just looking for a new place for them to start fresh.

  The SgtMaj is continuing his chuck workouts with different people in the battalion.  Now he’s taking all the Lieutenants out and punishing them.  He gets mad when they can’t or won’t give 100 percent the whole time.  One of our Lt’s came back and told some of the Marines that he was hitting the bag harder than the SgtMaj.  Of course, the Marines went right to the SgtMaj with that.  He was steamed.  He said he could hit it a lot harder if he only hit it two times every minute.  He also said that when he stepped up to the bag it said, “Please hit me, I just had two rounds off.”  Hahaha.

  He keeps asking when I’m going to be ready.  I told him I was at least another two to three weeks away.  I’m not going to rush it.

3 Comments:

At 11:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those guys talkin' all that smack!! Letting their mouths write checks that their butts can't cash!! ha ha ha (you might want to stay out of that smack thing for just a little while longer than 2 or 3 weeks......it might be a good idea to use phrases like....."when I was in my chuck training, I....." or "when I get back into my chuck training, I....") I know you know that smack talk just as good as or better than any of those other guys there. ha ha ha
LOVE YA!! Melanie

 
At 4:43 AM, Anonymous Linda said...

As always, I am amazed at the ingenuity of your Marines. Remodeling, rewiring, maintaining communications and establishing new communications systems, wow!
Listen to your sister (mom, doctors, friends, etc) and no matter how much the urge to participate in those "fun" Chuck sessions draws on you, as the saying goes, "Just say no". Glad you are starting to feel a bit better.
Take care and take it easy.

 
At 6:54 AM, Anonymous 147 said...

Bring those wiremen to AR. Got a list or two of things that need to be done or re-done! I sense an ounce or two of pride you have for those guys and suspect that nothing is impossible when you and your men have a vision. Before and after pictures might prove advantageous down the road (or no one will believe you guys did it all)!
Best you consider building rooms now instead of muscles! Sounds like your men are the ones putting on the real show.
Melanie – you are a hoot girl! How about....."yelp - used to have time for 'fun and fluffy stuff like chuck training' before I moved up into the engineering the impossible position.”
Nick and Chas had a boy this afternoon - Cole Martin Smith - 8lb2oz - 20 inches. All are well. Jeremy (Nick's twin brother for those who don't know) has already bought him camos and a deer rifle! We've got to find Jeremy a wife!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home