Saturday, November 11, 2006

Happy Veterans Day

  Happy Veterans Day to Dad, Pa, Grandpa James, and everyone else who has served our great nation.  Thank you for making our nation what it is today.  I am proud to carry on the tradition.

  The Marine Corps Birthday Ceremony went very well yesterday.  The Narrator was awesome.  Hahaha.  All the Marines got two beers each.  They were happy.  You should have seen them clear out of the gym when we told them that the beer was outside.  We had enough people that didn’t drink (including me, just in case you’re wondering) to give two beers each to the Soldiers and civilians that came.

  The chow hall made steak, shrimp, cake, and ice cream for the birthday meal.  All the workers were telling us happy birthday.  It was pretty neat.  They have everything decorated in red, white, and blue.  It looks like the fourth of July in there.

  Our unclassified network (the one I’m using now) has had some problems lately.  We got everything worked out and then one of our fiber-optic lines snapped.  So now we are routing it through a different device and it’s only able to go half as fast as it was going.  Things were slow before, now it’s hard to get anything done.

  I got a box from Operation Care and Comfort yesterday.  Each Marine got a zip-lock bag full of goodies.  There were words of encouragement from a nursing home and drawings from a Girl Scout Troop in San Jose, California.  They also sent some Girl Scout Cookies.  I ate an entire package – half a box – of Thin Mints last night before I went to bed.  I know that’s bad but I couldn’t put them down once I started.  I figured it was my birthday desert since I didn’t have any cake.  I’m glad I didn’t have the entire box with me.  I wrote them a letter thanking them for their support.  I wish I could visit everyone that sends me stuff.  It was really nice getting the letters from the nursing home.  They put their ages next to their names.  One lady said she was single and looking for a husband.  She withheld her age.  Watch out Schellee!  You better be nice to me.

  We got some more insurgents today.  I don’t know what it is about this week but we a racking up the kills.  We’re hoping that it’s due to us always being out in the villages and now we know who belongs and who doesn’t.

  They’re going to show the Tennessee at Arkansas game at 0300.  I probably won’t get up to watch it until about 0430.  I did see that College Gameday was in Fayetteville.  That’s great that we’re finally getting some recognition.  I hope we do well.

3 Comments:

At 9:56 PM, Anonymous 147 said...

I am more than impressed with that nursing home's residents. Speaks real loud! Like the WWII Vets and their wives meeting you all with cookies before heading out over the ocean in the middle of the night. Man - wish we could have one big group hug! Someday, that is just what we'll do. The lady advertising for a husband just cracks me up! Sounds like a story for Oprah.
Way to go with bringing the insurgents down. Hopefully Iraq is being more assured that they can step up to taking charge of their government and justice system - my prayer.
Wish I could have been there to watch you carry everything off at the big birthday bash. Bob Barker is retiring - don't you know!! Maybe a picture or two is on our way??
Operation Iraqi Children (OIC) is getting off the ground. Sent an explanation letter last night to my e-mail contacts and have had 2 replies and offers of help already.
Thank you Mike for accepting and carrying that torch of the Brave and True American that your dad and grandfathers handed to you. It shines bright. It shines proud. You are The Man! I respect you most highly!

 
At 11:52 PM, Anonymous Linda said...

Happy Veterans Day and Happy Birthday to you and your brave Marines!! All of America is thinking of you and your families today and everyday. Your courage and strength are legendary. Of course the old lady in the nursing home is probably drawing little hearts around your name about now.
That Sgt Major is one amazing man! Those young Marines and Sailors probably had their first beers (plural thanks to you!). Cheers to the Marines and Sailors of the Darkside. May God bless you and keep you strong.

 
At 6:40 PM, Anonymous Linda said...

Darren McFadden ran for 181 yards and two touchdowns leading your mighty Razorbacks to a convincing victory over the Volunteers of Tennessee!! If the Razorbacks win next Saturday in their game against Mississippi (my students' favorite word to spell) they will be heading to a title game. This is their longest winning streak since 1988. Sweet! Thank you LA Times for explaining football to someone who only knows how to read the scores. Yah, Arkansas!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home