Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Beer for the Birthday

  I got to call home last night.  It was nice to hear Britni and Schellee’s voice.  Britni didn’t do as well as she wanted at the swim meet but she still did well against the competition. 

  Today at Chuck training the SgtMaj and I had a guest.  He brought…uhh..err..drug along a LCpl that somehow got on the SgtMaj’s bad side the other day.  We destroyed this kid.  I almost felt bad for him.  He was making noises and grunting like something awful was going on.  It was kind of funny.  He was soaking wet with sweat and when we were done with him he would have ran out of the gym if he had the strength to do it.  Then this afternoon, about three or four of the Cpl’s approached me and said that they heard the SgtMaj and I killed some poor LCpl in the gym this morning.  So the word has gotten around.  Don’t make the SgtMaj mad or you’ll be forced to work out with him.  Hahaha.

  I went up on the roof of our building today and helped the Marines fix some problems.  It’s so much fun being a MSgt.  I can pick and choose what I want to do and when I want to do it.  The Marines think it’s cool that they’ve got an old guy up there working with them.  I even figured out a problem that they couldn’t fix.  Although, I didn’t have my smartest guy’s up there.

  I also volunteered to be the Narrator at the 231st Marine Corps Birthday Ceremony this year.  It will be fun.  I always had fun on MSG duty doing it.  After the ceremony is over each Marines gets two beers.  They are actually bringing in real beer for the Marine Corps Birthday.  One of the companies wasn’t going to let their Marines have any but the SgtMaj squashed that idea real quick.  I don’t drink at all but I know it will be a good moral boost for the men to have just two.  These are grown men.  The Marines on watch don’t get any until they get off of post and no one can drink eight hours prior to standing watch.  All Marines know this.  It’s just something we are taught from day one.  The Marine Corps Birthday also marks our 1/3 mark.  We will be 33% done with the deployment.  Ooh-Rah!

  We had catfish at the chowhall today and they had lemon slices on one of the tables.  So it was great.  Then I had Baskin Robins Cookies and Cream Ice Cream.  I usually don’t get the ice cream but I justified it to myself today because I had two hard workouts in the gym and I helped out on the roof.

   Two of our companies got into a few more firefights today.  No injuries for us.  We’ve seen an increase in insurgent activity but our guys are doing a good job of taking care of them.

4 Comments:

At 7:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been wanting some catfish myself. Lemon slices????what about ketchup or tarter sauce??? AND ...life's too short not to enjoy Baskin Robbins ice cream or Godiva chocolate WHENEVER we get the chance!!! Anything in moderation is my motto.
Happy 231st Birthday to the Marines. Had to do the math on that one......never really considered they were formed before July 4, 1776???? Melanie

 
At 5:34 AM, Anonymous 147 said...

So - how's the kid now? It is funny but you know me - worried about the underdog! Wonder if he has a blog. Would love to hear his side of the story. His momma is probably so proud of him!! hahaha! He probably has some sissy sun glasses that he never looses!

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger mhmcmom said...

okay, everybody picks up on a different subject when you write,,, i got the happy birthday Marines and beer party!! don't worry, i will take your share this week-end (of beer)... it's my birthday too and i feel life is too short to not celebrate a birthday,, yours, mine or anybody's! yes dad, i will be responsible, mature, and totally in control,,,,,,or have someone in charge to make sure i do,,(we do take turns) so i will be thinking of you guys this week-end and celebrating with you!! Happy Birthday Marines!
i sent schellee her b-day present yesterday, she may get it in time this year!
keep up the good work
know you are loved

 
At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Aunt Lea said...

Michael, Had a good visit with Bonnie & family. I now am looking at your blog every day. Keep up the good work - hope you will enjoy the box. Love Aunt Lea & Uncle Tom

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home