Saturday, October 21, 2006

Punching Bag

Well, this is the second time I’ve tried to post this message.  I got an error the earlier.  I hope this doesn’t post twice.

I got another box today.  Mrs. Reimell’s class sent us some goodies.  The Marines were excited to get them.  She also had a few coins from the Santa Barbara Council.  I never told her that I collected coins so it was a great surprise for me.  I’m going to hand the coins out when she lets me know who the first five Marines are that write her to thank her.  Of course, the Marines don’t know that.  I already know at least that many have asked me for her address.  We’ll see how many of them follow up.

  We had Sgt Walsh’s memorial service on Friday at 1400.  There were so many people there you couldn’t get in the chapel.  Rest in peace brother.

  We were supposed to get some thunderstorms today but it didn’t happen.  When it does, we are going to have some hard times negotiating these roads out here.  When the powder like dirt mixes with the rain water I hope I’m out in it.  I want to see that muck.  I think it’s going to be fun to be riding around in hummers in that stuff.  Like the truck pulls back home.  Right Missy? Hahaha.

  Two of our battle positions took motor fire today.  One mortar landed 10 feet from a guard post but it was on the side of the hill so no shrapnel hit the Marine.  We returned fire on one of them and last I heard a squad had left the lines to take a look and see if we had killed anyone.

  The SgtMaj is going to wear me out tomorrow morning.  We got a punching bag in the gym now.  He was the trainer for the Fight Club in 29 Palms (they were undefeated) and he’s been waiting for this thing to come in.  He asked if I was going to the gym for cardio tomorrow and then he said, “Good, we’ll work on the bag.”  He’s crazy.  I’ve went and worked out with him for boxing a few times and he keeps going until you can’t lift your arms.  I’m not really looking forward to it, but I love feeling the pain of a good workout so I’ll be happy in the end.

5 Comments:

At 9:28 PM, Blogger mhmcmom said...

how fortunate you guys are to have the support of mrs. reimell's class.
i'll bet the mud racers would love to have some of that fine dirt to go on their tracks here, you'll have to bring them back a hummer for them to play with!!!!hahah
good luck on the bag,, you probably don't want to show him up on the bag the first time anyway,,,, no,, i think you would!!!
know you are loved

 
At 10:14 PM, Anonymous 147 said...

Muck sounds fun - just hope that does not describe you when the boxer finally gets tired!!
Sometime - when there is time, I'd like to hear about Sgt Walsh’s memorial service if you want and can share. Reading that puts a lump in my throat.
Linda is full of surprises and love. You men are blessed to be connected with her and the class.
10 feet is a long distance when God stands between you and the enemy - otherwise it would have been much too close!

 
At 6:05 AM, Blogger Missy said...

Mrs. Reimell and her kids need big hugs when you Marines get back!! They sure have looked after you guys.
Just got back from the races and there's nothing like the sound and smell of mud flying through the air. I hope you get your mud so you can "play."
Stay safe!!
Love you much,
Sis

 
At 1:39 PM, Anonymous Linda said...

Glad you got the first package but there's something fun coming (I hope) that your guys will get a kick out of. The first Marine who wrote to us is PFC Matthew Farrell. His letter was not only informative and sweet (probably not a word a tough Marine would like used to describe his writing) but very neatly written. It is up on the chalkboard and all the kids read it everyday. This week I'm making a special bulletin board. I'll take a picture of it and send it to you.
Your Razorbacks won again!! Yippee!
UCLA lost in the last minute. It's like describing a girl who isn't very bright...but at least she's pretty. UCLA is an outstanding university so we can live with football loses because at least we didn't have a fight, boxing or helmet throwing, in the middle of the game. See, there's always a bright side.
Our thoughts and prayers are with Sgt Walsh' family and your Marines.

 
At 4:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not "truck pulls", it's "mud drags" and a whole road instead of two lanes does sound like fun. Kinda like driving on solid ice....fun when you are the only one around and no trees close. Prayers of comfort and peace to Sgt. Walsh's family, friends and brothers.
There was a 50th year anniversary (homecoming) at Immanuel yesterday. Your mom came and Diane sang with a quartet she belongs to now. Good times. Bro. Jones preached. He delivered a very good message. (even at 75 years old) Definately God called. Do you remember him???? He is one of VERY FEW men that daddy really respects. AND HE'S A PREACHER!!! Imagine that!!!! hahahaha Don't wreck a hummer in the muck.....hahahaha LOVE YA and TAKE CARE!!!! Melanie

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home