Saturday, October 28, 2006

A pond in my front yard

  It rained pretty hard last night.  It was very loud inside my tin can.  This morning when I opened my door to go PT, there was water everywhere.  There was no way to get out without stepping into a foot of water.  So I emptied out some wooden boxes that I was using to store stuff in and I threw them in the water to step on.  Well, when I threw them in, they started to float away.  So I jumped on one of them real quick and then jumped on the other one and was able to jump towards the edge of the water where it was only about three inches deep.

  Today was Captain Bair’s PT day.  He wanted to have a boots and utes (camouflage pants, boots, and t-shirt) run with rifles.  I wasn’t too excited about it because I hate running in boots and utes especially with a rifle.  He told me I didn’t have to go but I would never let the Marines do something that I wouldn’t do so I went.  We ran the standard three miles.  The Marines did very well.  The Captain and I sped up the last 500 meters and dropped all but two Marines.  Every once in a while, I like to prove to the Marines (and to myself) that I’ve still got it.  I still remember my MSgt’s that could run me into the ground.  One of my Corporals slung his rifle on his back and just let it bounce around the entire run.  I went into the Comm Shop and he had his shirt off showing the other Marines all the welts and bruises.  He said it didn’t hurt until after the run was over.  Sometimes, I wonder how they’ve made it this far in life.

  On the other side of the road from where my can is, there is a civilian construction company.  Their area is much lower than ours.  Their cans were completely flooded with waist deep water.  Lucky for them their cans were not in the lowest part of the terrain.  They had two eight foot tall generators that were completely submerged.  They lost a few million dollars worth of gear.  This afternoon, the First Sergeant got the Army Heavy Equipment Operators, Navy Construction Battalion, Marine Combat Engineer Battalion, and the Civilian construction workers together and they got every piece of Heavy Equipment on the base together and started digging a huge hole out in the desert.  The plan was to connect the new hole with all the flooded water.  I went out there about two hours before dark and watched them work.  I’m pretty good at watching people work.  It’s fun and easy too.  Anyway, the Marine Engineers always look for a reason to blow stuff up.  So they decided that it would be easier to blow up a connecting trench.  The Army used their backhoe to dig a two foot deep trench between the two holes and then the Marines placed two 15 lb and one 40 lb shaped charge in the ground.  When they went off, I was standing about 200 meters from the blast and it felt like it made my heart skip a beat.  I felt the impact jar my body before I heard the sound.  You could literally see the shockwave come at you.  Then they blew three more shaped charges off about 20 minutes later.  Then, with the holes they created from the shaped charges, they put in much bigger charges that are designed to make six foot trenches in hard rock.  I was already inside the COC, about one kilometer away, when the big one blew and it felt like a small quick earthquake.  They only told the chowhall there would be two explosions.  So when the third (and biggest) explosion went off, the chow hall cleared out.  People got up and ran for all the exits.  Some of the Indian workers started screaming.  They said it shook the entire building so bad that they thought it was coming down.  They all ran out and started taking accountability of everyone.  Our Marines ran to the COC to let us know that they were accounted for and still alive.  I guess you don’t want to be in a trailer when 500 lb’s of high explosives go off about 500 meters from your location.  Hahahahaha.

  Let’s hope the water starts draining now.

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home