Thursday, October 19, 2006

Personal Trainer

  I received a big box of bubble gum, tootsie roll pops, and tootsie rolls for the Iraqi children from my mom today.  They’re going to love this.  I can’t wait to pass it out to them.  I also got some Goo Goo Clusters and Log Rolls for my guys.  I’m sure they’re going to love them.  I already ate a Goo Goo Cluster.  I’ve been trying to watch what I eat but I figured if it had peanuts in it that meant it had protein in it.  Protein is good for you, so I ate one.  Hahaha.  I should be a personal trainer.  I’d make everyone feel good about cheating.  It’s like cake…It’s made with eggs, milk, flour…all that stuff is good for you.  Have it for breakfast.

  I called home today.  It was nice to talk to Britni and Schellee.  I heard the babies fussing too.  I miss them.  Schellee is sitting in on an adoption board of some sort for Laura today.  I hope everything goes well.

  The Capt is out for the night.  He left this morning with six of my guys.  He should be back some time tomorrow.  Three of the guys are staying out for four nights.  The others are coming back in with the Captain.  I’ve already heard through other Marines that he’s driving them nuts.

  The guys love being out on their own.  They are technically and tactically proficient enough to make good decisions and do things without the Captain or I being there to watch over them.  I like to see them succeed and be proud of what they accomplish by themselves.  It fosters good leadership and gives them confidence.  He gets upset when I let them go alone, but he is starting to see that they can make the correct call on tough decisions without him.  I think that scares him a little and makes him feel like he’s not as important as he thinks he is.  But I tell him that it proves that we are doing a good job.  We want our men to be able to think and act on their own.  These guys make me proud every day.  The Corps’ future is bright.

  The unit to our East is having a hard time.  They have been here a month and have already had a lot of casualties.  They have averaged a wounded or killed Marine every day since they’ve been here.  A message went out today saying that they need some radio repairmen because they lost one of theirs.  We came here short on repairmen so I couldn’t do it.  Our Battalion loaned them two squads of Marines to help them out for a while.  Hopefully thing s will settle down for them soon.

3 Comments:

At 8:15 PM, Anonymous 147 said...

I think you are correct in how you lead your men. "You're not a real leader unless you are making leaders" (that's a Bonnie-ism)! Nothing is not-real about you. Wisdom is no small gift and I pray you always have a "double portion."
I hope someone can take a picture of you passing out the candy to the children. My Awana girls brought 12 bags of candy Sunday night for me to send. I had shared with them the picture of you and Britni and one of the children there.
So very glad you got to talk to Schellee and Britni. You've got THE two rare and exclusive treasures there. Of course they're my treasures too! Group HUG!!

 
At 9:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

JUSTIFICATION.....we're all good at that......dark chocolate and peanuts.....good for whatever ails ya!!
Proud of you for giving positive enforcement to your guys and for realizing how valuable they are to making you look good....now let's all send some positive prayers for your neighbors!!!
Love YA ! Melanie

 
At 6:38 AM, Blogger mhmcmom said...

the one and only personal trainer i had believed he could work me out while he drank a sugar and cream loaded 32oz cup of coffee, counting 3 times faster than i could pass the message to my brain what excerise i was supposed to be doing!!haha not sure what his justification was!!
147 i know those kids are going to love the tootsie rolls and candies! be better than a grant co parade! michaels unit will be named the "candy convoy" before he comes home!
so happy to hear you were able to talk to the girls. i know you look forward to those calls, as well as they do.
special prayers to the troops in the east, and the chosen few to help them out.
great leaders produce great leaders,,,you've been there, and still remember your best,,, they will too.
know you are loved

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home