Sunday, October 01, 2006

Daylight Savings Time in Iraq

  I didn’t get to bed until late last night.  We had some things going on last night and I was in the Combat Operations Center listening.  A convoy with two of my Marines in it got hit with an IED.  It didn’t do much damage.  It just took off the front passenger side fender and flattened the tire.  No one inside the Hummer was hurt.  It hit the first vehicle and my Marines were in the second one.  One of my Marines said they were taking small arms fire from the left side and wanted to return fire.  Luckily, one of my Staff Sergeants was in the vehicle with him and didn’t let him shoot.  The Lance Corporal was wearing Night Vision Goggles and mistook a flickering house light in the distance as small arms fire.  One of the other vehicle towed the broke down hummer to a nearby battle position and then they went to where they were supposed to be going.  They came back this morning.  Everyone is really joking with the Lance Corporal, “AAHHHH, a light! Quick, shoot it!”

  When my watch alarm went off at 0500, I didn’t feel like getting up to go work out and I was debating which was more important – sleep or cardio.  So I got up and went to the gym.  Then came back and went to chow.  As I was going through my morning routine I noticed there wasn’t as much activity on the base as there usually was.  I got inside the chow hall and realized that I had forgotten to turn my clock back for daylight savings time.  So, I could have had an extra hour of sleep.  I just sat in the chow hall watching the highlights of college football.  Now it is dark by 1800.

  My Lieutenant got promoted today.  He is now Capt Bair.  I also got a promotion warrant for one of my Marines to Lance Corporal.  We will promote him tomorrow.

 

2 Comments:

At 8:12 PM, Anonymous Linda R said...

Congratulations to Captain Bair on his promotion! The leadership within the Marine Corps is outstanding. Good to hear everyone came back safely from the patrol. That nickname is a good one and I bet even OOH is getting a kick out of it. Good call on holding fire. Now, to find the guys who planted that IED...
Congratulations on the promotion of the new LCpl too.

 
At 9:36 PM, Anonymous 147 said...

Tell the Lance Corporal that I'm not laughing - but I do hope he is along with everyone! I think you guys need a good blue and gold game. Shelton is at the football field now doing just that with his buddies. Forgetting time change - kinda makes you humble - huh! Like - riding my bicycle to school and then walking home in the forth grade. Felt pretty silly. You are so amusing telling on yourself. You guys are great - tight and true. Proud for those promoted, proud of even the weakest link - much stronger than the weakest on the outside. I love you Mike.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home