Tuesday, October 24, 2006

1 KIA 3 WIA

  Last night around 2200 one of our patrols hit an IED.  One of our corpsmen was killed.  There were also three Marines in the vehicle that were wounded.  Two are still in country, one is seriously injured and in Germany.  We’ve been in minimized all day long.

  When a vehicle gets hit, the comm shop has to get what’s left of the communications equipment once it’s recovered.  I was one of the first ones to get to the vehicle after it was unloaded from the truck and I helped take the tarp off of it.  It was worse than the last one.  The hummer was actually ripped almost in half.  There were two other Corpsmen there waiting and I was wondering what they were doing there until they started sifting through all the metal and debris.  Instead of ripping out the comm gear I waited for them to finish.  They were very professional and respectful as they recovered the Angel.  Angel is a term we use instead of human remains.  I stood there quietly and prayed for his family as they did their work.  It wasn’t as hard to watch as I thought it would be.  I knew that he wasn’t there.  It was only his old carbon shell.

  It’s hard to write about anything after that.  The show by the Air Force was great.  They sang everything from Country, Pop, Rock, Rapp, Motown, and Jazz.  It was nice to have a break for a while.  It rained off and on during the concert.  We were in a covered area so nobody got wet.  After it was over, I went to my can for the night and it started pouring down.  The lightning was pretty close and the thunder shook my can.  It was like being in Arkansas.  I love the sound of the rain on the roof with the flashes of light and hearing the thunder.  Although, I couldn’t help but think that it would be a great time to attack.  So I was also uneasy because I didn’t want to be in my can if something was happening.  I think the rain is the reason why the vehicle got hit last night.  When we’re on patrol or in a convoy, we look for different shades of dirt or trenches or something that will basically give you a clue if someone has buried an IED.  This morning when I got up, the first thing I thought when I stepped out of my can was “There’s no way you can tell if anyone has disturbed the dirt”.  Then, when I was in the gym, I found out what had happened.

  The SgtMaj told me to get plenty of sleep tonight.  He said he’s going to add a twist to our boxing workout.  I can’t wait!  Can you here the sarcasm?

5 Comments:

At 7:00 PM, Anonymous 147 said...

Mike - I love you.

 
At 7:12 PM, Blogger Missy said...

So much more than a Marine, you're also a man of God. Thank you for the man that you've become.

 
At 8:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okayyyyy...I'll leave my personal pity party now.....that really puts things in perspective doesn't it......problems???? I HAVE NONE!!
I don't envy your boxing workouts AT ALL!!! I did run on the treadmill yesterday verses outside and it felt like a million bucks after running on these hills lately!!! I felt like I could run forever (of course I got bored and quit not much after my usual time...hahaha) I KNOW YOUR ARMS BURN.....did you know the part that hangs down on an old woman's arm when she waves is called a wenis (sp?)......SEND ME A BAG!!!!! LOVE YA!!! Melanie

 
At 3:11 AM, Anonymous Linda said...

Saepe Expertus
Semper Fidelis
Fratres Aeterni

Often tested
Always faithful
Brother forever

The reverence shown to your Corpsman reveals the deep bond the Marines and Sailors have for one another. May he rest in peace. Our prayers are with you all.

 
At 5:55 PM, Blogger mhmcmom said...

Angels are watching over you.
know you are loved
mom

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home