Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Things change quickly

Just a few hours after writing the last post, an IED went off and seriously wounded two of our Marines. We went into a communications blackout period until next of kin could be notified. We will also do this when any other unit in our area gets into trouble. So don’t be alarmed if I don’t post for a few days. It could be for a multitude of reasons. So far, it’s happened three times since we’ve gotten here. I don’t always know why it happens. Anyway, they were out on a foot patrol when the IED went off. I was sitting in my office with a few other Marines and I heard the roar of a Blackhawk go by overhead. All the 1/7 Marines knew immediately what it meant. The Lt and I were left standing in the room by ourselves. We quickly learned that a fast moving Blackhawk in this part of the country only means that something bad has happened. We only use them for medical evacuations. One Marine is going to be back in the fight in a few days. He got a separated shoulder. He was hit with a rock from the blast and it gave him a wound to the back of the shoulder that you can stick your pinky finger in. The other Marine is now in Germany and there is a good possibility he will lose his left eye. He also had a broken nose and a cracked skull.
The word has gotten out that we are changing units and we think they are testing us to see how we react. There has been a rise in insurgent activity in the last few days. We have a live video feed from remote controlled planes in our area that the command has at its disposal. A few nights ago we spotted a group of men digging a hole next to a road for about 10 minutes. Before we got the go ahead to kill them, they all disappeared inside a small building. We waited about 15 minutes and they all came out and started digging another hole about 100 meters from the previous spot. We shot all of them up pretty good. They didn’t know what hit them. They started running in all directions. They had no idea that our plane was overhead just picking them off. It was really neat to see – and gratifying – knowing that they could have been the ones to plant the IED that wounded our Marines.
Our embarked gear arrived yesterday and I unloaded my footlocker. I shipped my X-Box in it. So now I have a few towels, bed sheets, and extra gear that I didn’t want to hand carry. The boys in the communications shop gave me a TV that was left behind by the unit we relieved. They said it was extra because they got four TV’s. They couldn’t use it because they only brought one Playstation and they bought two from the departing unit. So know I have something to do with my spare time – If I can find some spare time.
I haven’t been able to get outside the wire yet. Some units are having trouble with some gear so I had to send my Maintenance Chief out to look at it. He’ll be gone for four days. So I have to pick up the slack and stand some duty for him. When he gets back, I’ll get to go. I’m looking forward to it. Everyone says the day goes by a lot faster when you’re out there.

1 Comments:

At 4:29 PM, Blogger Missy said...

Glad to hear you are okay!! Love you much--sis

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home