Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Singed Eyebrows

Night before last, one of our vehicle patrols got ambushed. Three of our guys were wounded and medevaced to Al Asad after a Rocket Propelled Grenade (RPG) went through the drivers window and out the passengers window. All it did was give them some little shrapnel wounds and singe their eyebrows. Amazing! They are all doing fine and will be back to work tomorrow. The Marines killed one guy and we think they wounded another because they saw a blood trail but the rest got away. The vehicle that got hit ended up careening off the road and went halfway into the Euphrates River. They had to get a wrecker to pull it out.
Yesterday afternoon, as I was coming back from chow, I saw an Iraqi Army truck pull up in front of the radio shop. A Marine and two Iraqi Soldiers got out and opened the back. They unloaded three Iraqi’s that were blindfolded and had there hands tied behind their backs. They are expected of making IED’s. We have our own little detention facility her on Al Qaim. There usually about three or four insurgents in it at any given time. We can only hold them for a certain length of time before we either have to let them go or move them to a higher echelon facility.
Early this morning, on my way back from the gym, a small fox jumped out of some bushes and started running around me like a dog wanting to play. I bent over and tried to play with him but he made sure he kept enough distance so I couldn’t touch him. He started following me back to my tin can and when I would stop walking, he would stop. I would step towards him and he would run away a few yards and then come back. It was just like playing with a skittish dog. As I got closer to my two other Marines were walking down the trail and he ran off. I’m going to start looking for him in the mornings from now on. I always have my camera on me except when I’m going and coming from the gym. If he starts showing up regularly, I’ll take a picture of him.
Someone asked about me about Ramadan. Ramadan is a Muslim religious holiday where they fast during daylight hours for a lunar month. They can not drink, eat, smoke or do anything during the day. It’s supposed to be a time for tolerance, reflection, and forgiveness. It’s a time set aside for Allah. Extremists use this time for attacks because they figure there is no greater way to please Allah. So, we will expect the worst and hope for the best.

1 Comments:

At 4:17 AM, Anonymous 147 said...

And maybe what they don't understand is that our Christian soldiers set themselves apart EVERYDAY to please their God (big G). Don't even let their god get a foothold - I pray (in the name of Jesus!) that they could only see The Army that surrounds them when they get close to God's true believers. David saw it - and certainly his attackers. You've got all you need!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home