Friday, September 22, 2006

King Arthur's Band

  It takes so long for me to upload to the blog site and it’s such an inconvenience to get to our “internet café”.  We have six computers that don’t have the restrictions that we use for our work computers in a small room and everyone on the base can go there and wait in line to use them to do things like upload to their blog or check ESPN for the latest football scores.  I found a way to upload to the site using e-mail.  So, I’m going to try that.  This is actually an e-mail that I am sending.  I hope this works.  It will save me a bunch of time.

  Last night, the USO brought King Arthur’s Band to our camp.  They’re a reggae band.  We set them up in our warehouse.  My Marines helped run cables for them and get everything ready but I don’t think any of them stuck around for the concert.  Even though I don’t care for that music I still feel a little guilty that I didn’t go and show them some support.  After only getting about three hours sleep the night before and then not leaving work until 10:30 last night, I was just too tired.  The SgtMaj said he stopped by the concert for about 10 minutes.  He said there were about 40 Soldiers and 20 Marines.  Those guys could be doing anything else besides playing for little crowds in an old warehouse in the middle of nowhere.  I really appreciate the fact that they trust us so much that they are willing to put their safety on the line just so we can have some entertainment.  I’m going to every USO event from now on.  I think we owe it to those guys to support them the way they support us.  The USO guys told us that Toby Keith played in our warehouse last year.  Now there’s some music I could go for.  Hahaha.

  We had T-bone steak and lobster tonight at the chow hall.  They also gave us Baskin Robins Chocolate Ice cream with whip cream, nuts, and strawberries.  It was really good.  I have to go run it off tomorrow morning on the treadmill.  I was given an Iraqi flag today by LCpl Patrick Fields.  He played on my football team in Twenty nine Palms.  He’s a reservist in northern California and he’s going home tomorrow.

4 Comments:

At 7:02 PM, Anonymous 147 said...

I agree with you Mike in supporting those coming from the outside to entertain you guys - BUT - don't feel guilty for a minute. Anytime you need rest and can get it - please do. Sounds like you've had a Razorback meal - High on the Hog (even if it was beef)!!

 
At 6:38 PM, Blogger mhmcmom said...

i'm with ya on toby! i truly believe the ice cream and lobster were well deserved, just thankful for you guys it was available. thanks for the explaination on ramaden.
stay safe
love ya lots!!

 
At 5:45 AM, Anonymous Schellee said...

Hi Daddy! That's really great that the USO has those events for you guys. I'm sure there will be a group that will come that you like.

Well - Britni had 4 events today. She took off just under a second in backstroke and butterfly, (she was 8th and 6th in the C division, respectively), she took off just over 3 seconds in her 100 Free which gave her a "B" time! (She did have a 1:15.?? and she got a 1:12.00 today!) She also did the 100 Breaststroke and got a 1:41.??. She did very well! She has 50 breast, 200 free, and 100 IM tomorrow. I will let you know when they get the results posted on the socalswim website.

Anyway, I am glad you got some good ice cream and a great dinner! Britni and I had an MRE dinner in your honor last week. It was pretty funny. She had the Chili Mac and said that it wasn't very good. Mine was pretty good...beefsteak with mushrooms. We decided that we can't have MRE dinners in your honor TOO often since there's like a million calories per pouch! Ha! HA! HA! That means I have to work that much harder on the treadmill! (Which I ran 4.84 miles last Wednesday. I usually run at least 2 miles.)

Well Daddy, I still can't send any messages to you. I keep trying though. I am glad that you are doing well. We love you and miss you!!!!! I'll let you know how Britni does tomorrow! Love you!

 
At 3:28 PM, Anonymous Linda said...

Your Razorbacks did well yesterday, beating Alabama 24-23. UCLA, unfortunately, lost to the Washington Huskies in a very disappointing second half.
Congratulations Britini and good luck on today's swim.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home