Thursday, September 28, 2006

First Vehicle Patrol

  I keep forgetting to give an update on our wounded Marine.  His left eye was removed about a week ago.  Sorry I didn’t tell anyone.  Other than that, he’s doing O.K.  We have one Marine that is already back in 29 Palms.  He got shot in the leg.  All other injured personnel are doing well or are back in the fight.

  I got mail yesterday.  I received my annual Hootens Razorback Football Magazine that my mom sends me every year.  I already tore out the poster in it and hung it on my wall.  Thanks mom.  I guess it takes about 11 – 13 days to get mail out here.  The platoon also received photographs and drawings from our adopted school.  They were wonderful to look at and read.  We posted some of the drawings in our work area and we put the rest in the internet café so everyone on the base can look at them and enjoy them.  I see people coming in and reading and smiling every time I go in there.  Thanks kids!  You are bringing comfort and joy to many Marines out here.

  I got back from my first vehicle patrol just about an hour ago.  It was great.  I took a bunch of pictures but I don’t know how any of them will come out.  I’ll look them over and possibly post them tomorrow.  We stopped at two battle positions and I talked to the Comm Marines that were out there and basically looked at there living conditions.

  During the patrol the Iraqi kids were running out to us yelling “MEESTA, MEESTA” (Mister, Mister).  “CHOCOLATNE, CHOCOLATNE” (I know you can figure that one out.)  It was fun to see the kids – at least somebody was happy to see us out there.  I saw a blonde haired, blue eyed Iraqi boy.  He was probably about seven years old.  I was told that we would see him.  It makes you wonder.  We get concerned for their safety when they get so close to the vehicles.  I would hate for something to happen to one of them.  However, if the kids are all around you – you know there aren’t any bombs.  The insurgents out here are Egyptian and Syrian.  The Iraqi’s in most of the towns don’t like them to begin with so they don’t want to be blowing up any kids and make things worse for themselves.

  While we were driving we had to shoot off some flares at two different vehicles.  When we travel, all traffic pulls off the road.  At 500 meters we wave a red flag, at 400 meters we get in their lane (kind of like playing chicken), at 300 meters we shoot a flare, at 200 meter we fire a warning shot, at 100 meters we kill the driver.  Word gets around pretty quick that you better pull over and get out of your vehicle when a military convoy passes by.  I can’t wait to get back out.

  Weapons Company invited me to spend the night, go out on some foot patrols and maybe even a night raid with them.  I was in Marine Security Guard Battalion at the same time as their MSgt and I went to the Career Course (E-7 School) with their First Sergeant.  I’m going to take them up on it.  They are both great guys and I get along with both of them very well.  I took pictures of how they are living.  I live in a mansion compared to them.  They have wooden outhouses and they have to burn the waste – just like in the Vietnam movies.  They have built their own living areas with plywood, dirt, and sandbags.  They get shipments of food from the supply vehicles and they cook it themselves.  They have two showers for the entire company and its outdoors and cold.  That’s what I was expecting to live like.  I am almost ashamed of how I live.  I’ll probably get over it tonight when I go to bed.  Hahaha.  I think it will be fun to hang out there for a while if I can get away.

2 Comments:

At 7:22 PM, Blogger mhmcmom said...

thanks for going into such detail about patrol. neat. i know those kids touch your heart.see, the football book came just in time,, at least now you can look at pic even if it is not on tv!!hahha maybe this week-end. we have another box almost ready,,, will be some things for you to share with other marines. stay safe !!! love ya bunches

 
At 1:00 AM, Anonymous Linda said...

I'm glad you got their first letters. They are excited to be a part of your lives. I'll tell my class tomorrow and they'll be so pleased they'll want to sit down and write again. We sent more letters out yesterday. I don't edit them because the guys probably get a kick out of seeing how they write.
Our third grade class sent out three boxes to you today. All is good here. Stay safe, brave Marines!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home