Saturday, September 30, 2006

Cold Shower

  I got up this morning and went to the gym to run on the treadmill and ride the bike.  I was there for about an hour then I ran back to my tin can before I realized that I had left my key on the bike.  So, I ran back to the gym and got them and then ran back to my tin can.  I stepped inside got undressed and got ready to step into the shower and there was no water.  None….at all….no cold….no hot.  We get our water from this huge 50,000 gallon water tank that sits out beside our generators.  I guess no one has checked it for a while.  Any other time, I would have been a little upset.  For some reason I thought it was kind of funny.  I actually debated taking a shower at all.  I mean, everyone smells bad out here.  So I put back on my sweaty clothes, went outside and ran about another 100 meters to a place where they store bottled water and took a case.  Then, I went back and showered with that.  I had no idea how cold that water really was.  It feels much colder on your skin than when you drink it.  Wow!  I was using breathing techniques that I learned when my wife and I went through Lamaze Training about 13 years ago.  I was basically torturing myself.

   The Commandant of the Marine Corps and the Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps flew in today to visit with us for about 30 minutes.  The young Marines were pretty excited.  We took a picture of all the Lance Corporals and PFC’s with the SgtMaj.  Nothing major was passed to us.  The staff always gets a little worried when someone like that comes in.  That’s the way they tell you that your unit has been extended.  They come in and tell you what a great job your doing and because your doing such a great job the country can’t afford to let you go back home yet.  That’s the story I got from many different Marines that I know from different units.  I think they came because it’s the Commandants farewell tour.  We are getting a new Commandant of the Marine Corps in November.

  I’ve had a few people ask me about the kids I saw when I went on the Vehicle Patrol.  We can not give them anything from the vehicles.  The Marines do, however, take a lot of stuff with them when they go on a foot patrol.  I talked to the first sergeants of all the companies and they all said they would appreciate any small items to give to the kids.  Candy, small stuffed animals or toys, soccer balls, ball caps, etc. would be great gifts for Iraqi children.  If you want to send anything for the kids, send it to me and I will make sure it gets disseminated to the four line companies that do foot patrols in the streets.  Put a note in the box that says KIDS.  I don’t want my Marines to eat up any candy that is meant for the kids.

4 Comments:

At 10:05 PM, Anonymous 147 said...

Mike - just back from WalMart buying candy - will have it in the mail tomorrow - some also just for the guys! I have the feeling that you'll be getting all kinds of candy - those folks at Adair Emilie Ritchen School have your number! Sheridan won last night 35-6 against L.R.Parkview. Lovin' ya! Shelton says, "Hi."

 
At 7:16 AM, Blogger Missy said...

Hey Bubba! Just wanted to tell you how much I love you! Stay safe!
Love you much,
Sis

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger mhmcmom said...

yeeeowwww! my skin swivels up to just think of a cold bottled water shower!! bet that was a quick one!
love ya stay safe!!

 
At 7:58 PM, Anonymous Linda said...

Mike, I'm going back and reading past blog entries. Found this one (it is February 19th when I am entering this) and it seems that the visit really was a precursor to your tour being extended. So the tradition stays constant, if the big guys come to visit and say you're doing an outstanding job, better email the wife that you'll be staying in the land time forgot a bit longer. Stay strong, Brave Marine.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home