Monday, September 18, 2006

A Close Call

I had two Marines come back last night after being away for four days. They did a few vehicle patrols at night with the line companies. One night, they hears the lead vehicle announce over the radio that that they had just ran over something. At that exact time my guys ran over a what looked like a little speed bump. After all five vehicles ran over it, they pulled over to the side of the road, set up a perimeter and called Explosives Ordnance Disposal (EOD). That’s the guys who come out and blow up roadside bombs. So, EOD get on scene and blows it up. It was a shaped charge that had a pressure plate hooked to it. They can’t explain why it didn’t go off but they said that a similar one was used a few months ago and it blew a Humvee in half and killed everyone in it. I guess you prayers are working really well since it didn’t go off five times. So keep them up.

Yesterday as I was going to breakfast I heard the Blackhawk start up and saw the crew getting it ready to take off, so I went to the Combat Operations Center (COC) instead. The Iraqi army had an informant tell them where a bad guy was located. So, the Marines were following them to the bad guy’s house when the Iraqis hit an IED. The Marines said the Iraqi’s were going too fast to see anything. It killed two of them instantly (including the informant) and one Iraqi lost both of his legs and was medivaced to our base where he later died. One Iraqi received a broken leg and the other one was not injured at all. On a separate convoy, one of our mail trucks got hit. But it only damaged the truck. Nobody was hurt and we still got our mail...It was just a little late. IED’s are definitely the biggest threat. We get about six or seven suspected IED’s a day. They don’t always turn out to be IED’s. Sometimes it’s just trash on the side of the road. Better to be safe than sorry. I hope our guys don’t get complacent as time goes by.

One of my Marines has the flu. Medical had just passed the word that we were going to be getting shots just two days ago. I hope it doesn’t start spreading. It would suck to have a third or more of my guy’s sick all at once.

We had a class this morning on Ramadan. It will start at the next moon. They are expecting it sometime around September 23rd.

2 Comments:

At 7:19 AM, Anonymous Schellee said...

Hi! Oh - lucky you! I forgot about Ramadan! Will it affect you at all? Will you guys still get to eat during the day? Fun! Fun!

I will write again later. I have to get to bed. Tomorrow Laura has one of her evaluations. Can't wait to see what they say. I am so tired though. Laura hasn't been sleeping very well...therefore, I haven't been sleeping very well. We still go about our business though. It just makes me very tired by the time we get home at night. Anyway, I have to go. We love you! Tell Mark we said Hi too.

Schellee
**Oh - Gloria is having trouble sending you e-mails too. (So - it's not just me!) I sent her an e-mail today.

Love you!

 
At 8:42 PM, Blogger mhmcmom said...

YOU BET PRAYERS WORK AND YOU GUYS WILL BE AT THE TOP OF GOD'S RECEIVING LIST WITH ALL THE SUPPORT YOU HAVE!! THANKS FOR THE PIC, THEY ARE GREAT. CAN YOU EXPLAIN RAMADAN,,SORRY DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT IS.
KNOW YOU ARE LOVED VERY MUCH!!!
MOM

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home